Re: [Scheme-reports] REPL

Hi Marc,

Reading old threads...

On Wed 14 Nov 2012 22:45, Marc Feeley <feeley@x> writes:

>>> Let me say that I find it contrary to the spririt of Scheme to prevent redefinition and assignment of exported variables.

I love redefinitions, but I don't think invoking the "spirit of Scheme"
regarding `set!' is useful, especially in the light of Steele and
Sussman's remarks in "The First Report on Scheme Revisited",
http://cs.au.dk/~hosc/local/HOSC-11-4-pp399-404.pdf:

    In retrospect, we can also see that some aspects of the initial
    design of Scheme were flat-out wrong ... [We] believe that Carl
    Hewitt was right: we would have been better off to have introduced
    cells as a separate, primitive kind of object, rather than allowing
    assignment to any and every λ-bound variable.

Regards,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/