Re: [Scheme-reports] [scheme-reports-wg2] Closing SRFI-112 and voting on it for R7RS-large

Faré scripsit:

> For instance, implementing ASDF (for Common Lisp), what I really
> needed is some kind of ABI-identifier so I may segregate compiled
> files. The provided information does not allow to infer that: ABI may
> change because you're linking to a different libc, using a different
> C++ compiler, using a different compiler implementation strategy,
> etc. These are not captured by any of the above elements.
>
> Also, some standardization is often useful in the specific values to
> be returned, e.g. "Linux" vs "linux", or "i386" vs "x86" vs "i686" vs
> "pentium", or "arm" vs "ARM" vs "armv5te" vs whatever. I'm not saying
> things should necessarily be specified in detail in the standard
> (especially since they change), but the standard may explicitly
> recommend that values be returned in accordance to some other documents,
> websites, standard bodies, etc.

The idea is to find such things in the list returned by (features).
That's what you use, either with cond or with cond-expand, to
conditionalize your code on specific ABIs, operating systems, etc.

> Finally, I was expecting the equivalent of getenv to be provided,
> maybe setenv too, on operating systems that have it (i.e. everyone
> that matters today), returning trivial #f on other systems.

That'll be in the Posix library, I'm sure.

> I admit I've grown distant and disillusioned with the entire process,
> and I only apologize for not doing more, but I don't see things going
> anywhere good at any good pace.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

But on the other hand, _still_ I persist in wondering whether folly must
always be our destiny, so I do what I can.  Throwing one stranded fish
back into the water may make no difference, but it makes a difference
to the fish.

--
Your worships will perhaps be thinking          John Cowan
that it is an easy thing to blow up a dog?      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan