Re: [Scheme-reports] dealing with non-BMP characters [was: Reformulated numeric-tower ballot]

Per Bothner scripsit:

> One idea is to accept O(N) string-ref (at least on java.lang.String), but have
> the compiler optimize iteration using string-ref: I.e. when the string is
> loop-invariant, but the index is an iteration variable.  In that case the compiler
> can add a parallel index variable with using offsets in the char array.  This isn't
> trivial, and it doesn't help with substring operations.

Chibi uses O(N) string-ref! but also has a string cursor API; see
<https://code.google.com/p/chibi-scheme/source/browse/doc/chibi.scrbl>
and search locally for "\subsection{Unicode}".

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@x
LEAR: Dost thou call me fool, boy?