Re: [Scheme-reports] Formal Comment: add write-string to (scheme base)

I would suggest keeping 'display' and adding a comment stating that:

"
If this procedure was named in accordance with other functions, it
would be named 'write-string', but for historical reasons it is named
'display' in order to maintain compatibility with previous revisions
of this report.
"

or something to that effect. Such a comment might be left for a
rationale document like R6RS has.

If I may rant, I've noticed many of these rename issues. Just to name
a few: cons*=list*, fold=fold-left, reduce=reduce-left,
get-char=read-char, get-u8=read-u8, lookahead-u8=peek-u8,
lookahead-char=peek-char, for-all=every, exists=any, etc.

Both R6RS and the current R7RS drafts have import and export renaming
systems (however, I feel obliged to remind/inform that R6RS and
R7RS-small export renaming are incompatible), this should provide
sufficient support to easily modify the language to suit anyone's
needs. For example, you could write a library which does all this
renaming for you, and it would probably end up being a one-liner.

Regards,
Andrew Robbins