[Scheme-reports] [moritz@x: R7RS-small ratification vote]

Forwarded by request.

----- Forwarded message from Moritz Heidkamp <moritz@x> -----

Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 01:01:38 +0200
From: Moritz Heidkamp <moritz@x>
To: John Cowan <cowan@x>
Subject: R7RS-small ratification vote

Dear John,

would you be so kind as to forward my vote to the list?

Thanks!
Moritz

Full name: Moritz Heidkamp

Location: Germany

Affiliation: None relevant

Contact details: moritz-r7rs@x

Statement of interest: I'm a Lisp and functional programming enthusiast
and have been using Scheme as my general purpose programming language
for about 4 years now, mostly in personal and sometimes in professional
projects. I'm part of the team maintaining the CHICKEN Scheme compiler
and its project infrastructure. I have contributed numerous extensions
to its library, published articles about Scheme on my website and given
introductionary talks and workshops at various conferences. I'm
convinced that Scheme is both an excellent vehicle to learn about the
fundamentals of programming as well as a practical tool for everyday
use.

Vote: yes

Rationale: As others have pointed out, the proposed draft contains some
flaws (just like R6RS and R5RS do) but as far as I can tell it's in a
pretty good shape. What I regret most is that the delimited
continuations debate did not come to fruition. However, I think this is
in line with how the report should evolve: It should only standardize
matters when there is a de facto community consensus about them. Thus I
welcome that widely adopted SRFIs (such as SRFI 1) were used as a basis
rather than inventing "better" APIs. This is a principle that was
apparently neglected in the R6RS process and one of the reasons why it
was rejected by many implementors. From my perspective the main
objective of the upcoming report is to provide a common basis for
existing Scheme implementations upon which the communities surrounding
them can share code more easily than the current state of affairs
permits. By this measure I believe that WG1 did a good job and I thank
all participants for their effort and endurance. Those who are
considering to vote "no", please keep in mind that your vote weighs 9
times as much as a "yes" vote so be sure to consider it carefully.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Business before pleasure, if not too bloomering long before.
        --Nicholas van Rijn