Re: [r6rs-discuss] [Scheme-reports] Unclear word in license grant

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM, John Cowan <cowan@x> wrote:
Joe Marshall scripsit:

> Why are you so eager to find an interpretation of the text that
> prohibits the very distribution you claim you want to do?

That I understand.  Given the enormous penalties for copyright violation
(up to $150,000), if there is a restriction that can be read into the
text, and there is someone who stands to benefit (not us, we're too nice,
but possibly our heirs will not be) -- well, nobody wants to go there.

Lawyers do.  They seem to have frightened us into believing that they
know magic spells and have arcane knowledge of how to translate simple
intent into high-falutin' latin.  Do it wrong, and evil spirits could possibly
undo the spell!  Who knows what you might risk?

If Mr. Notation is that cowed, perhaps he should hire a lawyer to assure him
that the appropriate sacrifices have been made to the gods.  I'm sure that
we have nothing more to offer.

--
~jrm