Re: [Scheme-reports] [r6rs-discuss] [scheme-reports] Scheme pattern matching & R*RS

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, John Cowan wrote:

> Andre van Tonder scripsit:

>>> Whyever not, especially in WG2?
>>
>> Because it would look messy.
>
> Suppose you are writing a module that uses only flonum arithmetic.
> Which is worse, a little bit of messiness in import, or constantly
> using fl+, fl-, fl*, fl/, etc. etc. etc.?  Since there is no option for
> deprefixing names when they are imported, I'd rather be able to call
> addition and subtraction by their normal names.

You don't really gain much since you would still need to say something like

   (import (except (rnrs) + - * - /)
           (flonum-operations))

I have already discussed the problem with automatic overriding of imports in a
prior message.