Re: [Scheme-reports] [wg2] in support of single-arity procedural syntax transformers

On 05/12/11 09:50, Andy Wingo wrote:
> On Thu 12 May 2011 09:38, Alex Shinn <alexshinn@x> writes:
>
>> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Andy Wingo <wingo@x> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's probably just wishful thinking, but it would be nice if we used the
>>> same arities here, though...  I don't want to be all imperialist and say
>>> "hey chickeners!  you must change your thing!", but the single-arity
>>> transformers might even be better for yall as well (for source
>>> information, for example; though is that a red herring?).
>>
>> Yes, source info is a red herring - all of the SC and ER
>> systems I know retain source info.
>
> Even for bare identifiers, and other values that can't be put into weak
> eq? table, as I mentioned in an earlier mail?

Ah, I see, it's about atoms like symbols. As any given symbol may appear
in lots of different input files, be generated by STRING->SYMBOL, etc,
its unique identity can't be used to give a particular instance of it
(as an identifier in a given lexical scope) properties with a weak map,
as can be done with the pairs that make up the structure of the source.

How is that handled in practice by SC/ER implementations, then?

>> I'm still unclear by your motivation.
>
> I wish you would address my points instead of parody and questioning my
> motivation.

Don't fight, people. I think Andy's point about not being able to do
everything with weak maps got lost in the noise, and is IMHO a key point
about using abstract syntax objects (which can carry all the metadata
they want) rather than passing around sexprs with separate contextual
information in procedures etc. as SC/ER do.

As is often the case, people are missing each other's key points,
arguing about non-key points, and then getting upset when they find each
other seeming to be pig headed :-)

YOU ARE ALL LOVELY PEOPLE. REMEMBER THIS FACT. AND DO ALL YOU CAN TO
COOPERATE TO MAKE SCHEME GREAT.

> Andy

ABS

--