Re: [Scheme-reports] Current tickets for the 5th ballot

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:12:49 -0400, Andy Wingo <wingo@x> wrote:

> On Thu 29 Sep 2011 17:43, John Cowan <cowan@x> writes:
>
>> Andy Wingo scripsit:

>>> Unless I misunderstand, this effectively requires that `eval' is an
>>> interpreter and not a compiler.  Is that your intention?
>>
>> Not at all.  It simply means that if you pass EVAL a list of the form
>> (#<procedure +> 1 2), it is treated as if it were of the form
>> ('#<procedure +> 1 2).  Guile currently accepts the latter but not the
>> former.
>
> The issue is not what Guile currently supports; it is about
> implementation strategies.  Currently it is valid to implement `eval' in
> terms of `compile'.  `compile' requires the ability to serialize objects
> to data, then to run that data on some machine, native or virtual.
> Scheme has not heretofore required serializability for arbitrary
> objects.

I'm not sure that I disagree, however, it should be noted that Chez Scheme
also allows this behavior, and the COMPILE procedure in Chez Scheme allows
this behavior. In particular, when running Chez Scheme, all expressions in
EVAL are compiled before they are evaluated by default.

	Aaron W. Hsu

--
Programming is just another word for the lost Art of Thinking.