Re: [Scheme-reports] Current tickets for the 5th ballot

On Thu 29 Sep 2011 17:43, John Cowan <cowan@x> writes:

> Andy Wingo scripsit:
>
>> > #281 Make non-readable objects self-quoting in EVAL
>>
>> Unless I misunderstand, this effectively requires that `eval' is an
>> interpreter and not a compiler.  Is that your intention?
>
> Not at all.  It simply means that if you pass EVAL a list of the form
> (#<procedure +> 1 2), it is treated as if it were of the form
> ('#<procedure +> 1 2).  Guile currently accepts the latter but not the
> former.

The issue is not what Guile currently supports; it is about
implementation strategies.  Currently it is valid to implement `eval' in
terms of `compile'.  `compile' requires the ability to serialize objects
to data, then to run that data on some machine, native or virtual.
Scheme has not heretofore required serializability for arbitrary
objects.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/