Re: [Scheme-reports] Formal Comment: Change syntax of symbols from |<symbol element>*| to #"<string element>*"

Alan Watson scripsit:

> I'd urge WG1 to reconsider their current approach to "difficult"
> symbols.

[snip]

> * Dropping hex escapes in symbols outside of the vertical-bar
> syntax. (Specifically, eliminate <inline hex escape> from the <initial>
> rule.)
>
> * Extending the vertical bar syntax so that it is identical to
> the string syntax, except that the delimiter is the vertical bar
> rather than double quotation and the \| escape replaces the \"
> escape. (Specifically, the syntax for <symbol element> should look
> like the syntax for <string element> with the two occurrences of double
> quotation replaced by vertical bar.)

I apologize for the delay in responding to this comment.  I'm going to
treat it as informal, because it so happens that the WG voted on the
fifth ballot (which closed before the comment was written) to do
exactly those things, and they are already on trunk.  See ticket #324.
The only difference is that \" is permitted within vertical lines:

--
You are a child of the universe no less         John Cowan
than the trees and all other acyclic            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan