Re: [Scheme-reports] *TELUS Detected Spam*Re: [r6rs-discuss] returning back to pattern matching

Vincent Manis scripsit:

> There are many supplementary libraries that can be used to extend
> this. One indeed can provide TAI times, and generally allow extremely
> precise longterm timing. Other libraries might support the full ISO
> 8601 calendar model, including week numbering. Others might support
> the Hebrew or Islamic calendar, or even the Mayan calendars, for those
> who count in baktuns. But none of these is needed for the common things
> that people need to do.

That's pretty much what TimeAdvancedCowan does.  It's optional, so
implementers can leave it out.  If they put it in, they MUST provide
ISO 8601 calendars, and MAY provide others; the spec has some suggestions.

TimeCowan is for WG1, but it leaves open the question of whether the
primitive timing facilities are a mandated part of the core (not really
unsafe, as they can return #f all the time) or in an optional module.

In both WG1 and WG2, all modules are optional; the decision to put a
module in WG1 represents a judgment on its wide utility, or in some cases
a Steering Committee mandate -- we can make R4RS/IEEE features optional,
but we can't leave them out altogether without crossing a very high bar.

> Er, no. R6RS itself requires support for the Unicode character set and
> Unicode classifications. (r6rs unicode) adds procedures for character
> classification, case conversion, and normalization; elsewhere the >
library requires support for Unicode encodings.

In WG1 Scheme, Unicode is permitted but only the ASCII subset is required;
see http://trac.sacrideo.us/wiki/UnicodeCowan .  Case conversion and
normalization is in a WG1 module.  WG2 Scheme may or may not require
full Unicode, but will have a module for UCD information.

--
Deshil Holles eamus.  Deshil Holles eamus.  Deshil Holles eamus.
Send us, bright one, light one, Horhorn, quickening, and wombfruit. (3x)