Re: [Scheme-reports] Three really picky points

Vincent Manis scripsit:

> I couldn't find anywhere in the Draft that described the
> relation between numeric conversion in string->number, read, and in
> source programs, and was hoping for some kind of clarification (or a
> pointer to where I missed the clarification).

I did file a ticket for the WG to clarify this.

Added to the ticket at http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/ticket/327 .

> It's obvious that string->number and read should use the same
> conversion routine;

That's what I thought too.  But Chibi uses two different routines, because
`read` terminates on the first delimiter, whereas string->number returns
#f if not all of the string is a number.  Still, that doesn't mean they
should not be consistent.

> So I think I'd prefer a statement that says that the relationship
> between literals in source programs on the one hand and string->number
> and read on the other is unspecified, but that the latter two use the
> same conversion rules.

Also added to the ticket.

--
John Cowan              cowan@x          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Historians aren't constantly confronted with people who carry on