Re: [Scheme-reports] ANN: first draft of R7RS small language available

An hour and a half ago, John Cowan wrote:
> Scripsi:
>
> > > Is WG2 not going to have a syntax-case module?  That would be
> > > unfortunate.  What about syntax objects, or procedural syntax
> > > transformers?
> >
> > WG2 will have explicit renaming only.

A huge step back.

> If you're curious: explicit renaming was voted up 4-0; syntactic
> closures voted down 1-3; and syntax-case tied with 3-3 (with one
> vote for sending it to a future WG), which means it failed.  There
> were 11 WG members at the time, of which 2 did not vote at all.

IMO this is one of the most important decisions, yet there is no
information that I see beyond the above: no mailing list discussion,
no wiki page on the trac thing.  IMO it's much worse since it is a
step back from R6RS.

I'm especially suspicious given (a) the importance of finally having a
macro system specified, (b) some of the usual anti-R6RS bias that was
expressed explicitly, and (c) some of the usual ignorance around
syntax-case, some of it likely to have affected the decision.

For example, there's this post from Alex Shinn:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2008-04/msg00013.html

which is often waived as "proof" that ER is a much better choice.  To
counter that, I'll make the reply that I once put on IRC explicit.

Quoting my reply verbatim:

> | 1) very, very large and baroque API and reader extensions
> |
> |    03:08 foof: For example, in 1) I complain it has a large API.
> |    Since the API is larger than any other alternative low-level
> |    hygienic macro system, I think it's a fair assessment.
>
> The "minimal API" of a `syntax-case' system is made of (1)
> `syntax-case', (2) `syntax', (3) `syntax->datum', and (4)
> `datum->syntax'.  With (1) it is extremely straightforward to create
> something like `syntax-e' if it's not builtin -- and `syntax-case'
> itself is *no longer necessary*; (3) can be done in exactly the same
> way (applied recursively), so it's just a convenience.  This leaves
> you with two things: (2) as a core lexical-scope-preserving quotation
> notation, and (4) as a way to construct new identifiers
> unhygienically.  (4) is therefore the only real "complex API" here,
> and it's complexity is (very unsurprisingly) very similar to ER or SC
> since in all three cases you take a symbol and choose a lexical scope
> to put it in.  The bottom line is if you count the number of concepts
> to deal with (eg, the different wrapper functions of SC, and the
> different arguments and how they're used in ER), all three systems are
> roughly at the same level of complexity.
>
> As a side-node "reader extensions" are, of course, not necessary at
> all.
>

> | 2) forces a single destructuring idiom tightly integrated with the
> |    macro system, when this should be a purely orthogonal concept
> |
> |    03:11 foof: In idiomatic syntax-case uses you always destructure
> |    with syntax-case, so 2) is a reasonable claim.
>
> The word "idiomatic" doesn't agree with "always".  The fact is that if
> you have `syntax-e' (which, again, is straightforward to write with
> `syntax-case' for a Scheme that doesn't have it), then `syntax-case'
> is not necessary at all, and you get your separation.
>
> The only true fact here is that some schemes choose not to have
> `syntax-e', which contributes to using `syntax-case' more -- is that
> good?  Well, I look at something like this:
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2009-06/msg00027.html
> and I feel sorry for people who hold on to the "defmacro simplicity"
> illusion -- holding on to it hard enough to not see how ridiculously
> complicated this code is.
>

> |    You can do something like your blog post and recursively unwrap

[Note: this blog post is
  http://blog.racket-lang.org/2009/05/explicit-renaming-macros-implicitly.html
]