Re: [Scheme-reports] "It is an error" is misleading

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Noah Lavine <noah.b.lavine@x> wrote:
Hello,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM, John Cowan <cowan@x> wrote:
Helmut Eller scripsit:

> R5RS does not have exceptions and in particular did not have an error
> procedure.

Correct, but it does (as do R2RS, R3RS, and R4RS) use the phrase "is
an error".

This may be obvious to you, but the objection here is that the phrase "is an error" is confusing in R7RS-small because it also has an error procedure. This confusion did not exist in R5RS and previous standards.

R5RS and earlier did distinguish between "is an error" and
"an error is signalled."  The error procedure simply gives
users access to that behavior, so this isn't really anything
new.

It is a confusing part of the standard, though, and I've
been looking at this so long and so hard I forget what is
surprising to some.  We definitely want all the eyes we
can get on this report, from all backgrounds.