Re: [Scheme-reports] "It is an error" is misleading

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Helmut Eller <eller.helmut@x> wrote:
The phrase "it is an error" that is used so often in the report is
rather misleading.  Usually, when I read "it is an error" I expect that
the problem will be detected either at compile-time or at runtime.
However the meaning of "it is an error" in R7RS is the same as "it is
unspecified".  I don't understand why the word "error" should be used in
such cases as it has nothing to do with the 'error procedure or
error-objects.

Especially bizarre is the interpretation that implementations can
provide extra functionality by exploiting these "error situations"
without actually raising an exception.

This is the convention for all the Scheme reports.
It is documented in the overview section 1.3.2.
If you're unfamiliar with previous reports, it would
be wise to read the entire R7RS report before
criticizing it.