Re: [Scheme-reports] Padding/placeholders (hashes) in numerical syntax

Peter Bex scripsit:

> Absolutely; I was wondering how it decides to print 3/4 as 750.0e-3
> considering 7.5e-1 is equally acceptable, as is 0.75 or 75e-2 or any
> other exponent prefixed by a suitably scaled number.

Making sure the exponent is always a multiple of 3 provides a
representation aligned with the SI prefixes: if you know that 750.0e-3
is a duration, you can immediately see that it's 750 milliseconds.
Nobody talks about "7.5 deciseconds".

--
John Cowan   cowan@x    http://ccil.org/~cowan
[R]eversing the apostolic precept to be all things to all men, I usually [before