Re: [Scheme-reports] practical matters - CSAN

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Aubrey Jaffer <agj@x> wrote:
>  | Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:29:53 +0900
>  | From: Alex Shinn <alexshinn@x>
>  | There have been multiple attempts[1][2] at creating a shared
>  | repository of Scheme code analogous to Perl's CPAN, but none have
>  | gained much traction.
>
> SLIB <http://people.csail.mit.edu/jaffer/SLIB> is the largest and
> longest collaboration facilitating portable (implementation-neutral)
> Scheme for non-trivial applications.

SLIB is a very different goal from what I'm describing.
It's a single bundle maintained by one person, rather
than a CPAN-like system allowing multiple people to
upload their own projects.

> In the spirit of unification, I hope that early in your design process
> you will include a migration path from SLIB to your repository.

Certainly we want to include SLIB libraries.  I think the
most sensible migration path for SLIB would be a separate
tool that generates multiple packages and a repository
directly from the SLIB distribution.  Assuming we use the
(slib ...) namespace you'd then be able to do something like:

$ csan install "(slib color)"

to install just the latest version of the color module and any
modules it depends on.