Re: [Scheme-reports] practical matters - CSAN

 | Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:29:53 +0900
 | From: Alex Shinn <alexshinn@x>
 |
 | There have been multiple attempts[1][2] at creating a shared
 | repository of Scheme code analogous to Perl's CPAN, but none have
 | gained much traction.

SLIB <http://people.csail.mit.edu/jaffer/SLIB> is the largest and
longest collaboration facilitating portable (implementation-neutral)
Scheme for non-trivial applications.  SLIB is used by Guile (and hence
the Gnome Desktop), placing it in many if not most GNU/Linux
installations.

Its a safe bet that Guile (and hence SLIB) installations outnumber all
other Scheme installations combined.  That sounds like traction to me.

 | On the other hand, implementation-specific repositories[3][4][5]
 | have been very successful.
 |
 | As an effort to unify these (and seriously, we're a small
 | community, we need all the unification we can get), I would like to
 | set up a CSAN-like system based on the R7RS module system, so that
 | any Scheme that supports R7RS modules can easily share code.

In the spirit of unification, I hope that early in your design process
you will include a migration path from SLIB to your repository.