Re: [Scheme-reports] [scheme-reports-wg1] Unintended consequences of #319

Alex Shinn scripsit:

> > On my reading of [#327], this means that the R5RS permission for
> > `string->number` to return #f if its argument has a radix prefix is
> > inconsistent with this decision (since "#x10" must work in code, it must
> > work in `string->number` as well), and I have withdrawn it accordingly:
>
> R5RS doesn't have such permission - it has permission
> to return #f when the string has _any_ radix prefix,

That's what I said, though perhaps my wording was not the best:

* R5RS allows (string->number "#x10") to return #f.

* Some Schemes actually do this but most do not.

* R7RS won't allow this any more, because it would make s->n inconsistent
  with read.

--
Evolutionary psychology is the theory           John Cowan
that men are nothing but horn-dogs,             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan