Re: [Scheme-reports] <body> of let-syntax

Jim Rees scripsit:

> ...for that matter shouldn't it also be "zero or more expressions" ?
>
> ..and while this may already have been mentioned in the past, it may
> not be possible to decide what the elements of <body> are (definitions
> or expressions) until after expanding them using the syntax definitions
> provided.

No.  This is one of the places where R5RS, R6RS, and R7RS differ.

In R5RS, there is an inconsistency between 4.3.1, which says that the
the formal syntax in 7.1.3, which say that <body> may have internal
definitions as well.  `Let-syntax` is a block contour, and any internal
definitions are local to that contour.

In R7RS, 4.3.1 was adjusted (incorrectly) to agree with the other
two cases.  That makes `let-syntax` work like `let`.

In R6RS, however, `let-syntax` is like `begin`: when used in a definition
context, its <body> must consist of definitions, but when used in a
expression context, its <body> must consist of expressions.  In the former
case, the definitions are spliced into the surrounding lexical contour.

I have made the correction in the repo, and added the correction as
erratum 13 to the R7RSSmallErrata page on the wiki.

--
John Cowan    cowan@x    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Half the lies they tell about me are true.