Re: [Scheme-reports] DISCUSSION/VOTE: The character tower

On 08/05/14 05:59, John Cowan wrote:
> Per Bothner scripsit:
>
>> In which programming languages, if any, do these expression (or similar
>> expressions in appropriate syntax) return the same string?
>> I don't know of any.
>
> Which is exactly why we aren't going to standardize any such thing.

To put it another way:

1) Yes, it sucks that these representational differences in strings are
exposed to programmers, who will forever be faced with strings that
aren't EQUAL? but have no really useful difference between them.

2) But as Unicode went that way and made it so that these differences
CAN matter in some (not very useful to most people) ways, we need to
expose that difference; hiding it will cause problems.

As Schemers, we're accustomed to not having warts in our programming
environment; but when we're forced to expose other people's
abstractions, we're forced to accept their warts.

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym
http://www.snell-pym.org.uk/alaric/