Re: [Scheme-reports] mutable unicode strings

On 07/02/2014 12:11 PM, John Cowan wrote:
> Per Bothner scripsit:
>
>> Does this seem reasonable?  Any prior art I should know about?
>
> Not prior art really, but I have written down a simple API for Scheme
> edit buffers at <http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/BuffersCowan>.  I
> would rather use objects like this in my code and leave string-set!
> as a vestigial trace of the pre-Unicode world.

Fair enough.  However, I'm leaning to adding string-replace! and string-append!
to Kawa, since the functionality is useful and easy to implement.  If you or
anyone has any comments on the names and parameters of those functions it
would be welcome, especially if any other Scheme implementations or libraries
have something similar.

When it comes to BuffersCowan, it seems reasonable enough.  One comment:
What is the point of point?  I.e. the concept seems redundant if you have
markers. In Emacs point is a special marker corresponding to the "current
position", but I don't think that makes sense for a Scheme library API.
(Even in Emacs, the concept of a buffer-point is dubious.  A window-point
makes sense, of course.)
--
	--Per Bothner
per@x   http://per.bothner.com/