[Scheme-reports] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Missing description of complex polar form

I intended to send this to the list, rather than just to John. -- vincent

Begin forwarded message:

From: Vincent Manis <vmanis@x>
Date: 2011 May 1 16:16:36 PDT
To: John Cowan <cowan@x>
Subject: Re: [Scheme-reports] Re: Fwd: Missing description of complex polar form

On 2011-05-01, at 14:35, John Cowan wrote:

None of Racket, Gauche, MIT, Gambit, Chicken with the numbers egg,
Bigloo, Guile, Kawa, Scheme48, SISC, Chibi, Chez, SCM, Ikarus,
Larceny, Ypsilon, Mosh, STklos, SSCM, and Scheme 9 distinguish between
rectangular and polar complex numbers.

I've never seen a Scheme system that did distinguish between these two representations, but I'm grateful for the comprehensive list. Since these are representational issues, there should be no such distinction internally; it should be the job of NUMBER->STRING and STRING->NUMBER to handle them.

I have an upcoming proposal about NUMBER->STRING that will, I think, address this issue.

-- v