Re: [Scheme-reports] Multiple values

Eli Barzilay scripsit:

> In any case, that's how multiple values fit in the scheme historical
> context.

Very well.

> And BTW, as long as I gave the above example, and was dragged to quote
> the relevant part of R5RS, I can just as well continue the quote:
>
>   Except for continuations created by the call-with-values procedure,
>   all continuations take exactly one value.
>
> and it should be clear now why Chibi's implementation is just plain
> broken:

You know that is not true.  How dare you say such a thing?  I suppose
next you will inform me that (car #f) and (cons 1 2 3) are also
compelled to signal errors?

> If you want to get pickier, then all implementations that don't barf
> at
>
>   (list 1 (values 2 3 4) 5)
>
> are broken because according to R5RS:
>
>   (values obj ...)
>
>   Delivers all of its arguments to its continuation.  Except for
>   continuations created by the call-with-values procedure, all
>   continuations take exactly one value.

If R5RS said "Except for [...], all continuations must signal an error
if they do not receive exactly one value", then you'd be right.  It
doesn't and you aren't.

> | Chibi's use cases just aren't anything like Racket's.
>
> was just irrelevant nonsense,

You are entitled to consider it irrelevant to your concerns.  The
statement is not nonsense.  Indeed, it is true.  If you say otherwise,
you are a liar.

> (And yes, "Ultimately, if you want R6RS, you know where to find it."
> is wrong too, but who's counting?)

And I'm done with you.  It's a pity, because I've learned things from
you, but you are going out of your way to make yourself offensive, and
I see no reason to stand for it.  I adopt this harsh and public mode of
denunciation to make my intentions unmistakably clear.

*plonk*

--
De plichten van een docent zijn divers,         John Cowan
die van het gehoor ook.                         cowan@x