Re: [Scheme-reports] 6.3.5 strings

Andy Wingo scripsit:

> Along those lines, an escaped embedded newline, like:
>
>    "asdadf \ asdfadf"
>
> in R6RS has the same meaning as "asdf asdfadf".  It allows you to
> nicely indent strings that you need to line-break for width.  I
> suggest that the production
>
>   \ NEWLINE WHITESPACE*
>
> within string literals be elided.

Ticket filed.

> Later the spec mentions that implementations may generalize string=?
> et al to take more than two arguments.  Does the spec need to actually
> mention this?  The R6RS, while a good document in many ways, had a
> very prohibitionist feel to it.  In contrast this draft is a bit more
> permissive, and to its credit, probably.  In that spirit there is no
> need to mention extensions, as they are always possible, unless they
> are particularly recommended, for which in this case there appears no
> cause.

Well, it turns out that Racket, Gambit, Guile, Chez, Ikarus, Larceny,
Ypsilon, Mosh, and Scheme 9 support it, whereas Gauche, MIT, Chicken,
Bigloo, Scheme48/scsh, Kawa, SISC, Chibi, STklos, and SSCM don't.  I've
filed a ticket to require support, under the rubric of consistency with
the numeric comparisons.

--
John Cowan    cowan@x    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Objective consideration of contemporary phenomena compel the conclusion