Re: [Scheme-reports] Strong win later reversed: Real numbers have imaginary part #e0

Mark H Weaver scripsit:

> So can your proposed inexacts.  In order to avoid underflow and
> overflow, the number of representable values cannot be finite, because
> there can be no maximum or minimum representable magnitude.  Therefore
> the amount of memory needed to represent your numbers is unbounded.  No
> matter how clever your compression method is, that fact is unavoidable.

In principle, yes.  But if you can represent Skewes's number in five or
six words, the likelihood of ever reaching the physical limit is much,
much less.

--
I Hope, Sir, that we are not                    John Cowan
mutually Un-friended by this                    cowan@x