Re: [Scheme-reports] Strong win later reversed: Real numbers have imaginary part #e0

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 2:16 AM, John Cowan <cowan@x> wrote:
Alex Shinn scripsit:

> The standard is silent on whether or not this is allowed for
> make-rectangular, but note in Chibi the value -0.0 is only supported
> as a place holder and in the future will be removed in favor of not
> underflowing.

This will have to include removing +inf.0/-inf.0 in favor of not
overflowing as well, of course.

Yes, the intention is to catch overflow as well, though
infinity is a useful numerical concept and I have no intention
to remove those values.

I admit you'd have to be daft to do
scientific work in Chibi without muscular C libraries attached (in the
style of Python), but perhaps there are others who like the delicate yet
performant compromise of IEEE binary representation, so I hope this will
still be a configure-time option.

I think any slow-down is better than giving the wrong answer,
but you will be unlikely to notice a significant drop in performance.