Re: [Scheme-reports] Proposal for New Complex Number Syntax

I vote against this proposal.
Here's why: the slippery slope.

Why stop there? Why remove only complex notation, when you can get rid
of nasty rational notation too! In fact, we could add an entire new
class of syntax for all exact numbers at the same time! Instead of
X+Yi we would write #e(+ X (* Y (sqrt -1))) and instead of N/D we
would write #e(/ N D). Then we could add an extra precision argument
to exact->inexact and number->string so we could get a billion digits
of pi/2; I mean #e(/ (acos -1) 2).

Pretty soon, you'll be requiring that every implementation include
libgmp, which many do in order to support rationals, but that's beside
the point. And in order to prevent people from including things like
user-defined functions and ports and if expressions, by requiring only
mathematical functions, you'd also end up with a new subsyntax which
is even more complex than complex notation.

Regards,
Andrew Robbins