Re: [Scheme-reports] 6.11 Exceptions

On Sun 06 Jan 2013 07:51, Alex Shinn <alexshinn@x> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 6:42 AM, Andy Wingo <wingo@x> wrote:
>
>     `raise-continuable' is poorly understood in the context of Scheme.
>     would punt it to WG2 if possible.
>

> Could you be more specific?  What exactly are the problems you see?

I have two problems with it.  One is that very few Schemers have used
it.  I asked on this list once who had used it, and no one replied in
the affirmative.  Therefore it is not "core" enough to go into a "small"
r7rs.

Secondly, its presence prohibits useful behaviors.  For example, it
would be easy to make a `call-with-port' that closes its port on
exceptional exits by installing a throw handler.  However, since throw
handlers are also used for raise-continuable, this is not possible.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/