Re: [Scheme-reports] R7RS large process discussion WAS Re: final draft of the R7RS small language

Grant Rettke scripsit:

> I had kind of
> envisioned R7RS wg2 as determined entirely by a big table of "major"
> (by some definition) implementations of R5RS and R6RS where you look
> at a feature or SRFI, look who provides it, see that it is obvious for
> wg2, and maybe follow it by some or no discussion, and then go along
> with the standardization process.

I've always tried to avoid defining "major" implementations.  If you look
at ImplementationContrasts, I started out by counting Schemes that did
or didn't do something in particular, but dropped that pretty quickly in
favor of just listing what all the Schemes I could get access to actually
do, and letting other people draw conclusions about their importance in
the Scheme of things.

I did use a process generally similar to this to develop a big list of
packages that I thought might be included in WG2.  (But I also looked at
Java and Python, not wishing to exclude something useful just because
Schemes hadn't done it yet.)  I then asked the original WG2 members to
vote on that list; the results wound up on ConsentDocket, StandardDocket,
and RejectedDocket.  After that, I worked on proposals (the various pages
ending in Cowan on the wiki), but eventually gave up because I couldn't
get feedback, and asked the SC to hibernate WG2 until WG1 was done and
more energy would be freed up.  In the meantime, though, when I got a
new idea I put it on InputDocket, and just a month ago transferred most
of those to StandardDocket in batches, using unanimous consent.

> I kind of look at it starting from the end; the goal of wg2 is to
> produce a usable batteries included system, so for people who are not
> intimately involved with Scheme, what would they want/need to know to
> see why it is that way.

I agree, but I don't think the "why" is necessarily accounted for by
what existing Schemes provide.  I want the large language to go beyond
what Schemes have provided, to include not only batteries but the
entire Erector/Meccano set.

> Part of it strikes me as kind of an odd fit though, as though it is
> slightly different than the goal of wg2, one of agreement or shared
> desire. WG2 seems more like, report on what is the current state of
> things.

As noted above, I want to go beyond the Scheme state of the art.

> FFI is kind of an easy one to pick on; the discussion always converges
> on "it is too hard to standardize" and yet I bet that the majority of
> distributions provide it, so that is kind of a curiosity, is it
> obvious whether it should be included, or not? From an srfi
> perspective it seems a bad fit, but from practical wg2 goals, it seems
> perfect.

I think the original WG thought it was too big a rathole to go down,
and requires too much discussion of fundamentals.  For one thing, there
is a big split between FFIs that allow access to arbitrary C (or Java
or C#) routines using Scheme glue, and those that allow access only to
C or Java or C# glue which must be written to invoke arbitrary routines.
There are also ugly issues around callbacks, GC, and call/cc.

> Is the SRFI process meant more for implementers, or users, or both?

Users, clearly.  It's a Request For Implementation process.  However,
the person calling for implementation must in most cases provide
at least *an* implementation.

> Who is WG2 serving, users, implementers, or both?

Users first and foremost.  Of course, implementers matter too, because
a standard is only useful if it's implemented.

> Thanks for your patience bearing with me learning about how this is all going.

Sure.  I'll probably boil this thread down into a wiki page at some point.

--
John Cowan     http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan@x
Monday we watch-a Firefly's house, but he no come out.  He wasn't home.