Re: [Scheme-reports] fresh empty strings

Per Bothner scripsit:

> (Kawa does use separate Java classes for mutable and immutable strings,
> though it didn't used to - and I'm thinking about adding another class to
> support O(1) indexing of strings containing non-basic-plane characters.)

There's a case to be made for using three classes for the Latin-1, BMP, and
full Unicode repertoires.  I know of one (non-Scheme) package that does this,
plus using java.lang.String for immutable strings.

On the other hand, in fairly capacious environments like the desktop,
it may be the Right Thing to use only 32-bit mutable strings, especially
considering how much more common string literals are in typical Scheme code.

--
John Cowan    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan   <cowan@x>
    "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context.  A telegram