Re: [Scheme-reports] fresh empty strings

Ray Dillinger scripsit:

> It's not clear to me that, in a unicode universe, there's a useful
> distinction between characters and strings of length 1.  At the very
> least, character operations such as case and other such mappings
> are not closed on the set of single codepoints, which makes
> treating "character" separately from "string" semantically
> dubious.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Unfortunately, characters and mutable strings are
IEEE Scheme features, so the bar for removing them is very high.  Both
R6RS and R7RS make character and string casing operations inconsistent:
\#ß upcases to itself, whereas "ß" upcases to "SS".  (There is a capital
sharp S in Unicode, but it is normally used only in display text such
as headlines; it downcases to the ordinary sharp S but not vice versa,
so in this respect Unicode is intentionally self-inconsistent.)

--
John Cowan <cowan@x>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
The peculiar excellence of comedy is its excellent fooling, and Aristophanes's