Re: [Scheme-reports] WG1 Scheme as a language for CS1

On 05/09/11 19:09, Arthur A. Gleckler wrote:

> I also prefer CSP when writing programs, but it makes sense to include the
> most fundamental mechanisms, e.g. at least mutexes and condition variables.
>  As Jeronimo points out, they are the primitives out of which higher-level
> abstractions like CSP can be implemented.

They *can* be, but it's not always the most efficient way. So, yeah,
fine for pedagogical purposes, but for real-world programming, native
support for mailboxes of one kind or another would be Real Nice. They're
a more robust programming model than shared-state-protected-by-locks,
too - harder to make subtle hard-to-find-let-along-debug errors. Still
not impossible, mind ;-)

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym