Re: [Scheme-reports] Formal Response #382: Allow "if" to accept arbitrarily many if-then pairs

> You need to shadow the cl:if symbol, and then you can redefine it with
> defmacro.

Can you explain further, perhaps give code that works?  I've used let, flet, and macrolet to rebind cl:if, and tried to run defmacro under that binding, and none of them worked (in CLisp or SBCL).

> Chicken and scsh/scheme48 support explicit-renaming macros, which subsume
> defmacro macros; Chibi supports syntactic-closure macros, which subsume
> both of the other two.  In Gambit, the option "-:s" provides syntax-case
> support.

and

> Standards >= R5RS do guarantee it.

Interesting, thanks.  Scheme and Schemes are better than I realized... I now feel like I could change most of everything to my liking if necessary, and rely on that as a viable long-term approach.  I might do that.

--John Boyle
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do. --Knuth

John Boyle scripsit:

--
Go, and never darken my towels again!           John Cowan
        --Rufus T. Firefly                      http://ccil.org/~cowan