Re: [Scheme-reports] Legacy caar to cddddr

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Aubrey Jaffer wrote:

> | I've used those procedures myself, and *every* single time it has
> | been a mistake.  I'd rather they go away so I'm not tempted, and am
> | forced to properly abstract from the start.
>
> C*R procedures are very useful in symbolic algebra, for graphs and
> trees, and for manipulating programs (such as compiling).  Claims of
> their demise are premature.

I agree.  I have found them useful for manipulating programs.  Once you are
used to them, you can see at a glance what they are doing (just like with CAR
and CDR).

Here is an example of their use in a renaming-style macro (as WG2 promises us
we will have).  Used here are CAR, CDR, CADR, CDDR, CADDR, and CDDDR.  All
these are used in a completely obvious and transparent way.  This is not a
"code smell".

     (define-syntax do
      (er-transformer
       (lambda (exp r c)