Re: [Scheme-reports] inconsistent use of \| escape

On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 07:24:52 +0900, Alex Shinn <alexshinn@x> said:

> There's no reason
> to use \| in a string since | by itself is perfectly valid.

  By the way---not suggesting to touch the document, of course, but
  just for the record---it _is_ convenient to have the escape
  character act uniformly on any character, even if it has no special
  meaning.  For example (it is a rare case, but I have encountered
  it), when generating literal strings programmatically and not having
  a way to determine what character is inserted in the generated
  value, it is convenient to simply precede the unknown character with
  the escape character and rest assured that the string literal will
  always be well-formed.  Just my 0.01999..., of course.

  ---Vassil.

--
Vassil Nikolov | Васил Николов | <vnikolov@x>

"Be careful how you fix what you don't understand."  (Brooks 2010, 185)