Re: [Scheme-reports] Standard Feature Identifiers are too low-level

Bakul Shah scripsit:

> IMHO, what *would* help is a standard way of knowing a) the
> name and version of the Scheme implementation and b) the host
> OS, version and process arch. (and may be endian-ness).  It
> would be nice if the host OS/version/arch is available at
> macro expansion time as well. May be with something like
>     #+<implementation>[-<version>]
>     #+<os-name>[-<version>]

That is exactly what we have now in R7RS, but using the cond-expand syntax
rather than CL syntax.  Since there is no standard way to modify Scheme
lexical syntax, we assume that "read" can process code for any Scheme.

> One problem with Scheme impl. is that access to host features
> is partially implemented, if at all. For example, defining
> FreeBSD as OS at most says I have definitely *no* access to
> non-FreeBSD features and *may* have access to -some- FreeBSD
> features!

Not really, unless you mean by "non-FreeBSD features" features that
*cannot* be available on FreeBSD.  What "freebsd" means as a
cond-expand feature is that the run-time environment is FreeBSD.

> OS (or more generally, environment) specific feature namespace
> and not try to unify them across all environments (or assume
> the same feature name means the same thing).  Users of a
> specific OS can then standardize feature names for that OS (if
> they care).

We are not attempting to specify any environment-specific feature
identifiers.

--
John Cowan  cowan@x  http://ccil.org/~cowan
Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic