Re: [Scheme-reports] Sequence to sequence conversion

Ray Dillinger scripsit:

> I agree that the standard ought to specify an encoding (possibly bound
> to the symbol 'UTF-8) that allows reading or writing character data
> (strings and program code).  But if so, I would say that an encoding
> ought to be a first-class object bound to an identifier, which can
> be passed as an evaluated argument into open-port, decode-blob, etc,
> rather than a second-class object invoked by passing a quoted token
> to those procedures.

I think it's very premature to even think about standardizing
a first-class interface until we have seen something like it
somewhere else.  AFAIK, no implementation of either Scheme or
any other language supports such a thing.  My WG2 proposal at
http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/SettingsListsCowan is based on a
quoted-token system, but could be extended to a first-class system by
allowing things other than symbols as the value of the `encoding` key.

I'd be happy to see a specification of first-class encoders and decoders
outside the WG process, though, so go to it!

--
While staying with the Asonu, I met a man from      John Cowan
the Candensian plane, which is very much like       cowan@x