Re: [Scheme-reports] Features

On 11/3/2013 8:41 PM, John Cowan wrote:
> Michael Montague scripsit:
>
>> R7RS lists i386, x86-64, and gnu-linux as possible
>> features. Presumably, i386 should be a feature for the 32 bit version,
>> and x86-64 for the 64 bit version.
> That's exactly the Right Thing.

So I need to map i686 to i386 for the Debian 32 bit on VirtualBox case.
Does Debian 32 bit ever return i586 or i486? Hopefully, all of the
different Linux distributions are the same -- I have not bothered to
dive into the source for uname to try to figure out the possibilities.
What happens on FreeBSD? Solaris? Darwin? ...

>> I can make Linux lowercase and easily check for Linux and change it to
>> gnu-linux, but I am leery of doing that.
> Why are you leary?  That's the intention.

Does every unix variant need to be special cased?

>> In order for features to be useful across implementations, the symbols
>> must be exactly the same.
> Which is exactly why you should do it.

Agreed. But based on Debian, there does not seem to be a straightforward
way of doing it: using uname, an implementation needs to change Linux to
gnu-linux, change i686 to i386, and change x86_64 to x86-64. What are
the special cases for the rest of the common unix variants?

How does Chibi handle this? It supports a bunch of different systems.