Re: [Scheme-reports] ANN: first draft of R7RS small language available

On Sat, 7 May 2011, Andrzej wrote:

> (let ((+ -)) (quote +)) => +
> is matching symbols by name, do we want '-' instead?

That would defeat the purpose of QUOTE.  QUOTE gives a way of writing
symbolic data (or more generally s-expression datums) literally.  What you see
on the screen is what you get.  Its value is unaffected by any enclosing
bindings.  I thnk you are overcomplicating something very simple.

I think the confusion comes from the overloading of symbols for identifiers and
symbolic data.  '+ just denotes a symbolic datum, like 1 or "abc".