Re: [Scheme-reports] Mixed exactness in complex numbers?

Peter,

I hope this isn't considered too off-topic, but Mathematica has 4
distinct infinities.
The usual Infinity (+inf.0 in Scheme), -Infinity (-inf.0 in Scheme),
and the following:

- ComplexInfinity (might be represented in Scheme as (make-polar
+inf.0 +nan.0)), and
- DirectedInfinity[z] (might be represented in Scheme as (make-polar
+inf.0 (angle z))).

If we restrict our domain to inexact floating point real numbers,
these two infinities still represent something meaningful, and cannot
be converted to inexact rectangular complex numbers without losing
information. To make this less about polar complex numbers, consider
the logarithm of a directed infinity. (log (make-polar +inf.0 y))
should be +inf.0+yi, whatever y is. If y is an exact number, then
(imag-part (log ...)) should also be exact. I'm not sure how many
Scheme implementations actually store exact polar complex numbers this
way, but it helps keep numbers exact.

Regards,
Andrew Robbins