Re: [Scheme-reports] "unspecified values"

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Andre van Tonder <andre@x> wrote:

> Arbitrary expressions do not return a single value in R5RS, so
> I would say the above macro is buggy even in R5RS.  It fails
> for something as simple as
>
>  (time (values 1 2))
>
> /in R5RS/.
>
> So your example is IMO invalid, unless what you really want is to
> return to R4RS.  I wonder sometimes... ;)

Wow, everybody immediately replied with exactly
the argument I wrote that they would reply with,
and proceeded to ignore the response I had written.
So I'll include it one more time:

 [...] it works fine for users who were
 not previously using MV in that context, or perhaps
 in any of their code.

It's not a matter whether the code they wrote
generalizes to a wider class of uses or not.
It matters that the code works the way they
were using it before, and with the proposed
change the code would break.