Re: [Scheme-reports] eq? considered harmful.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear@x> wrote:

I suppose I could.  But why?  A typetag check and nonbranching
execution of a conditional branch is 2 machine code instructions,
which is just not worth thinking about. Besides if the system
does even elementary type analysis it'll eliminate even that
microscopic penalty from 90% of the uses of eqv? anyway - and
could approach 100% in cases where *we* know we're comparing
eq?-safe types.

Beware the well-known but widely ignored fallacy of the Sufficiently Smart Compiler.  Such compilers are rarely available.