Re: [Scheme-reports] WG1 Scheme as a language for CS1

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 12:55:47PM -0400, John Cowan wrote:
> Jeronimo Pellegrini scripsit:
>
> > The only missing feature from WG1 for me was TCP/IP (cannot even
> > be built on top of anything else) and threads (can be done with
> > continuations, but there's no standard WG1 API to mimic, and I can't
> > do multicore).
>
> WG2 will not have a full sockets implementation, but will provide some
> kind of TCP and UDP APIs.

TCP+UDP is fine! That will be enough to do a lot of things.

> If you'd like to see threads in WG1, it would be nice to provide us with
> some kind of rock-bottom-minimum API; SRFI 18 is huge, and it's far from
> clear to me that mutexes and condition variables are even the right
> abstraction (some kind of CSP would appeal to me much more, but that's
> just me).

Well, I actually think I'll wait for WG2 to standadize something.
(As I said in the other email, it's hard to keep everyone happy, and
I can use stuff from WG2 Scheme also).

I'm not sure which abstraction would be OK, but I do think that mutexes
and condition variables are OK -- everything else can be built on top of
them! The right abstraction would probably depend on the needs of the
user. I teach, and I like to build concepts gradually. But then, someone
else may want an easier or simpler API for WG1...

J.