Re: [Scheme-reports] Bytevectors should be called u8vectors

Marc Feeley scripsit:

Formal Comment ticket #435 filed.

> I see no reason to introduce new names.  It will require many
> implementations to implement the new names, and moreover the SRFI-4
> names will have to be kept for code which uses SRFI-4.  This is
> needless bloat.

Though in general the WG voted on the first ballot to prefer SRFI choices
over R6RS ones, a specific vote was taken on the third ballot which
preferred 'bytevector' to 'blob'.  The terms 'u8vector', 'byte-vector',
and 'octet-vector' were also on the ballot, but were nobody's first
choice.

> I also find the names bytevector-u8-ref and bytevector-u8-set!
> very clumsy and verbose compared to u8vector-ref and u8vector-set!.

http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/BlobAPI , which was reviewed but not
adopted by WG1 (it may become part of R7RS-large, however) proposes two
sets of names, one of the form bytevector-<type>-ref which is indexed
by byte index, and one of the fomr <type>vector-ref which is indexed
by element number and is SRFI-4 compatible.  In the case of u8 and s8
these of course coincide.  However, it would be very inconsistent to
use u8vector-ref in the small language, where u8 is the only access type
directly supported.

I am therefore closing this ticket.

--
John Cowan    <cowan@x>     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
But no living man am I!  You look upon a woman.  Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter.