Re: [Scheme-reports] Installing the floor of the R7RS-large numeric tower

Hi,

here are my votes.

I'm putting these questions for discussion and vote by R7RS-large WG
members, which at the moment means "anyone who wants to discuss and vote".
Votes go to <scheme-reports-wg2@x>

I'm using the reformulated numeric tower ballot text from the WG2 list, which I
think is better (I found the requirement of IEEE 64-bit pairs for inexact complex numbers
to be hard to give a thoughtful vote on):

1) Should R7RS-large require arbitrarily large (up to implementation
restrictions like memory) exact integers?

Yes.

2) Should R7RS-large require support for exact rational numbers?

Yes.

3) Should R7RS-large require support for exact complex numbers?

Yes.

4) Should R7RS-large require inexact complex numbers?

Yes.

Rationale: I think R7RS-large should aim high for numerical computation that is
portable across implementations.  When voting yes for (1), I find it logical for
an implementation to support (2) and (3) as well, as they could be implemented
in terms of (1).  The same goes for (4):  If an implementation supports inexact
numbers, I would surely expect it to support inexact complex numbers also,
even if they may not be used often.

Looking at

it seems that R6RS requires the full numeric tower, but only exactness for integers and
rationals.  That would mean an all-yes vote here should be backwards-compatible
with it, no?

--
Christian Stigen Larsen