Re: [Scheme-reports] inconsistent use of \| escape

Alex Shinn scripsit:

> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 2:35 AM, Per Bothner <per@x> wrote:
>
> > Section 6.7 "Strings" lists '\|' as an escape sequence valid in strings.
> > However, 7.1.1 "Lexical structure" does *not* show '\|' as valid syntax
> > in <string element> - it does not match <mnemonic escape>.
> > OTOH <symbol element> explicitly lists '\|'.
> >
> > I assume the formal syntax is correct, and 6.7 needs some editorial
> > tweaking.
>
> Yes, the formal syntax is correct.

That turns out not to be the case.  See ticket #390, which as chair you
decided to treat as editorial in your 6th ballot announcement at
<https://groups.google.com/forum/message/raw?msg=scheme-reports-wg1/czr_aX41Sbs/pQ9TVml4IecJ>
I simply forgot to update the formal syntax in revision 580:adb8521923be.
Fortunately, Chibi implements it.

(Doing everything on the record is *such* a win.)

> There's no reason to use \| in a string since | by itself is perfectly
> valid.

True, but it's conceptually simpler to have only one set of escapable
characters across both strings and symbols.

--
John Cowan  cowan@x   http://ccil.org/~cowan
It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.