Re: [Scheme-reports] Can records be written and read?

On 05/20/11 18:05, Andre van Tonder wrote:
> It is not clear to me whether they can from the report.
>
> I suppose that generative records would prevent one from writing out a record
> and then reading it in a different instance of the program.
>
> It would have been nice if records had external representations.  However, I
> think one would need nongenerative records for this to be useful.

Aye. It also opens a can of worms with sandboxing. If a module doesn't
export mutators for a record, in order to maintain some invariants, then
a caller can force mutations by picking apart the printed representation.

Printing of records, in itself, might be useful for debugging, but it
can also be a security risk in a sandbox, as it could be used to leak
sensitive information.

ABS

--
Alaric Snell-Pym