Re: [Scheme-reports] 6.3.7 blobs

On Sun 22 May 2011 00:21, John Cowan <cowan@x> writes:

> Andy Wingo scripsit:
>
>> `make-blob' needs a fill argument.  (Filling it with random memory is a
>> potential security vulnerability in many contexts.)
>
> Security-conscious systems can fill it with truly random data, or all zeros,
> or whatever they like.

John!  Here I was certain you would agree, like with make-vector and
make-string.

>> What would you call a sub-blob which shares state with another blob?
>
> We don't have such state-sharing objects now, except lists.

Right, I was just exploring the implications of naming something
"blob".

For example, let's say I provide a primitive implementing the mmap
syscall, and have it return a blob.  Perhaps I would like to expose a
range of that memory to a procedure, and allow it to set the memory.  I
want a shared-state sub-blob, but "sub" really doesn't combine well with
"blob".  Dunno!

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/